Bhilai, Chhattisgarh: IIT Bhilai, an institute of national importance, invites applications for admission to Sponsored PhD programs for the Semester II 2017-18. The PhD programmes are available in the following departments: Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics and Chemistry for the session starting from December 2017.
Key Dates: The last date for submission of the completed application form online is 06 November 2017.
Eligibility criteria for PhD admissions:
Applicants must have one of the following in appropriate subject areas:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent degree, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST).
- Master’s degree in science or equivalent degree, with first class, 60% marks or equivalent (55% marks for SC/ST)
Applicants must also fulfill ONE of the following additional requirements.
- Valid GATE Score
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/ UGC/ NBHM/ DBT/ ICAR/ ICMR/ ICPR or DST INSPIRE Fellowship.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience. The experience gained while acquiring Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or experience acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought may be considered as professional experience.
- CPI/CGPA of 8.0 or more for BTech from an IIT.
An ongoing degree may also be considered as a qualifying degree provided the applicant graduates before the PhD program starts.
GATE Score Details:
Computer Science and Engineering – GATE score in CS/ EC/ EE/ MA/ PH if applicable Excellent programming skills.
Electrical Engineering – GATE score in EE/ EC/ IN/ CS/ MA/ PH if applicable.
Mechanical Engineering – GATE score in AE/ CE/ ME/ PI/ PH/ XE if applicable.
Sponsored student needs to apply as one the following:
Full-time: A sponsored applicant may apply for admission to PhD program as sponsored full-time student. Such a student needs to be present on the campus for the duration of PhD as per the rules of IIT Bhilai.
Part-time: Professionally employed personnel such as working engineers, scientists and teachers who can, while employed, attend regular classes as per schedule of IIT Bhilai may apply for admission to PhD program as sponsored part-time student. The applicant must be an employee of a recognized organization and be engaged in professional work in the area to which admission is sought. The student must be available in person for discussion/meeting with the supervisor on a regular basis. The applicant shall give an undertaking endorsed by the employer that the applicant will be relieved to attend all classes.
External: An applicant working in industry / academic establishment / research laboratories having R&D facilities may apply for admission to PhD program as external applicant.
For further details about eligibility conditions, how to apply and other details, the candidates should refer the official website of IIT Bhilai.