Rourkela: National Institutes of Technology, Rourkela, Odisha, has invited applications from eligible candidates for PhD and MTech (Research) for July semester 2017 under various streams. Admissions are offered with fellowship subject to eligibility or without fellowship. The closing date for submission of applications is 21 May 2017 (Sunday).
PhD programmes are offered under its 20 departments (list is given below). MTech (Res) programmes are offered under three departments (Computer Science & Engineering (CS), Mechanical Engineering (ME) and Electrical Engineering (EE).
Eligibility Conditions for PhD Programmes: The minimum qualification required for admission to PhD programs in Engineering, Science, Management, and Humanities & Social Sciences is one of the following:
- a) M.E./M.Tech./M.Pharm in relevant discipline with at least 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks in aggregate in both B.Tech. (or M.Sc./B.Pharm/ MCA or equivalent) and M.Tech. levels from a recognized Technical Institute or University.
- b) B.E./B.Tech./B.Pharm/MCA or equivalent in relevant discipline with CGPA of 7.0 or 65 percent marks in aggregate.
- c) M.Sc. in Basic Sciences with CGPA 7.0 or 65 percent marks in aggregate in relevant disciplines. For applicants with valid GATE/NET/GPAT score requirement may be relaxed upto 0.5 CGPA or 5% marks.
- d) M.B.B.S./B.V.Sc. with CGPA 6.5 or 60 percent marks in aggregate.
Additionally, candidates having the following qualification can also apply for Ph. D in Management and Humanities & Social Sciences:
- e) M.A. / MBA / M.Com. /M. Sc. in Humanities and Social Sciences or Management with 6.5 CGPA or 60 percent marks in aggregate.
Students without adequate background in the primary discipline will be required to have 10% extra marks (1.0 CGPA) to qualify over students with specialization in a primary discipline, unless explicitly exempted by the senate.
There may be extra requirement of some departments, the candidates should refer the eligibility conditions of each department mentioned in the Admission Prospectus before applying.
PhD is offered by NIT Rourkela in the following departments:
Biotechnology and Medical Engineering (BM)
Civil Engineering (CE)
Chemical Engineering (CH)
Ceramic Engineering (CR)
Computer Science & Engineering (CS)
Electronics & Communication Engineering (EC)
Electrical Engineering (EE)
Earth & Atmospheric Sciences (ER)
Humanities and Social Sciences (HS) (Economics, Psychology , Sanskrit, Sociology, Anthropology and Development studies areas only)
Life Sciences (LS)
Mechanical Engineering (ME)
Metallurgical & Materials Engineering (MM)
Mining Engineering (MN)
Planning & Architecture (PA)
Physics and Astronomy (PH)
School of Management (SM)
Interested candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria may submit their online application. Applicants are not required to send hard copy of the application form or any other document to NIT Rourkela.
Application form is available in the Institute website for online submission from 28 April 2017 (Friday) to
21 May 207 (Sunday).
For exact eligibility conditions, how to apply and other details, the interested candidates should refer the PhD and MTech (Research) for July semester 2017 notification, uploaded on the official website of NIT Rourkkela: