New Delhi: Participation of women in higher education system in India is dismal. The enrolment of women in higher education is still below average. Gross enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education in India is 24.5%, which is calculated for 18-23 years of age group while GER for females, it is 23.5%. In the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, popularly known as STEM, the enrolment of women is poor.
As per All India Survey on Higher Education 2015-16, total enrolment in higher education has been estimated to be 34.6 million with 18.6 million boys and 16 million girls. Girls represent 46.2% of the total enrolment. On this context, universities exclusively dedicated for women holds the key for promotion of education among women. In India there are 799 universities while 14 are exclusively dedicated for women, know as women university as on 31 March 2017.
Nearly, out these 14 universities exclusively for women, four in Rajasthan, two in Tamil Nadu and one each in Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Delhi, Haryana, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Odisha and West Bengal.
Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey (SNDT) University, Mumbai is the first women’s university in India, which has turned 100 in 2016.
List of Women Universities in India (The University Grants Commission)
- Assam Women’s University, Jorhat-785004, Assam. (State University) – 2013
- Karnataka State Women University, Jnana Shakti Campus, Athani Road, Bijapur-586 108, Karnataka. (State University) 2004
- Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women’s University, 1, Nathibai Thackersey Road, New Marine Lines, Mumbai-400 020, Maharashtra. (State University)- 1951
- Rama Devi Women’s University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha (State University )- 2015
- Jayoti Vidyapeeth Women’s University, Vedant Gyan Valley, Village- Jharna, Mahala- Jabner, Link Road, Jaipur-Ajmer Expressway (NH-8), Jaipur-303007, Rajasthan (Private University) – 2008
- Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science & Higher Education for Women, Coimbatore-641 043, Tamil Nadu (Deemed University)
- Mother Teresa Women’s University, Anandhagiri IV Street, Kodaikanal, Dindigul Dt.-624 102, Tamil Nadu (State University)
- Diamond Harbour Women’s University, c/o Fakir Chand College, Diamond Harbour, South 24 Parganas, West Bengal – 743331 (State University)
- Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women, Kashmere Gate, Delhi – 110 006. (State University) 2013
- Mody Institute of Technology and Science, Lakshmangarh, District Sikar Rajasthan (Deemed University)
- Banasthali Vidyapith, PO Banasthali Vidyapith-304 022, Dt. Tonk, Rajasthan (Deemed University)
- Sri Padmavati Mahila Vishwavidyalayam, Tirupati-517 502, Andhra Pradesh. (State University)
- Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila Vishwavidyalaya, Khanpur Kalan, Sonipat-1313-5, Haryana (State University)
(Note: SkillOutlook has updated listing having 13 women universities. Our research team is unable to trace the name of 14th women university. Once we the team get the name of the university, SkillOutlook will update)