Mumbai: Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay has invited applications for admission to PhD, MTech, MTech+PhD (Dual Degree), MPhil and MSc-PhD(Dual Degree) in Energy Programmes for the Academic Year 2017-18 starting from July 2017. All applications have to submitted online.
For MTech/MTech.+ Ph.D. (Dual Degree), online application window will open from 28-03-2017 to 18-04-2017. For PhD programmes, online application window will open from 29-03-2017 to 18-04-2017. For MPhil online application window will open from 03-04-2017 to 08-05-2017. For MSc-PhD (Dual Degree) in Energy, online application window will open from 03-04-2017 17-04-2017.
The PhD programmes are available in the following departments/Centres of IIT Bombay
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biosciences and Bioengineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Climate Studies
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Earth Sciences
- Educational Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy Science and Engineering
- Environmental Science & Engineering
- Geoinformatics & Natural Resources Engineering
- Humanities and Social Sciences (Economics, English, Philosophy, Sociology, Indian Science and Technology in Sanskrit)
- Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science
- Centre for Research for Nanotechnology & Science
- Centre for Policy Studies
- Systems & Control Engineering
- Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas(
- Centre for Urban Science & Engineering
PhD Programmes Minimum Eligibility Conditions
General Eligibility criterion for Admission in all Departments/Centres/ Schools/ Interdisciplinary Groups.
ONE of the following in appropriate subject areas:
1) Master’s Degree in Engineering/Technology or equivalent degree, with First class or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) as described in the PhD Information Brochure.
2) One of the following:
(i) Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology with First class or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) as described later in A.5.4 (PhD Information Brochure).
(ii) Master’s degree in Science or equivalent degree, with First class or 60% marks (55% marks for SC/ST) as described later in A.5.4 (PhD Information Brochure)
(iii) Master’s degree in Arts/Commerce or equivalent degree in allied subjects with a minimum of 55% marks (50% for SC/ST), only for admission to the PhD programmes offered by the Industrial Design Centre and Department of Humanities & Social Sciences.
Such candidates must also fulfill ONE of the following additional requirements:
- Valid GATE/CEED Score.
- Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) of CSIR/ UGC/NBHM/DBT/DBT/ICAR/ICMR/ ICPR or DST INSPIRE Fellowship.
iii. Candidates having UGC-NET Lectureship (LS) are also eligible for Teaching Assistantship in addition to other academic qualifications in Humanities & Social Sciences Department.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience (acquired after obtaining the qualifying degree and
completed before the starting of the semester in which admission is sought).
In addition to the general eligibility criterion, the applicant must satisfy the eligibility criteria specified for the respective Departments/Centres/Schools/ Interdisciplinary Groups. Further, the eligibility criteria for financial support for specific category has to be satisfied.
Candidates are informed that an ongoing degree may also be considered as a qualifying degree provided by the applicant graduates before the PhD programme starts.
For exact eligibility criteria, how to apply and other details, candidates should refer the admission page of the website of IIT Bombay:
For more details on MTech/MTech.+ Ph.D. (Dual Degree), MPhil and MSc-PhD (Dual Degree) in Energy, candidates should refer the the admission page of the website of IIT Bombay: