New Delhi: Getting admitted into the top ranked university is the dream of every student. India is one of the world’s largest higher education systems with enrollments of nearly 34 mn students in nearly 50,000 colleges & institutions, and more than 750 universities. Selecting a right university for pursuing higher education is definitely a challenging task for students.
India’s Union HRD ministry’s National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) initiated an indigenous raking system to assign a rank to higher educational institutes. NIRF released the country’s ranking of top universities and institutes in categories of universities, engineering institutes, management institutes, and pharma institutes. NIRF released its first edition of ranking in April 2016.
As per the expected Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore remained at the top of universities list in India. The second spot was grabbed by another science stream based university, Institute of chemical Technology (ICT), Mumbai. Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) emerged as the top ranked university in the general stream of universities in the country while University of Hyderabad featured at the fourth position overall.
The most surprisingly Tezpur University of Assam grabbed the fifth rank while Delhi University placed at 6th rank. Banaras Hindu University (BHU) was at the seventh place in the NIRF 2016 ranking list. Eight place was took by another science stream institute, Indian Institute Of Space Science And Technology, Thiruvananthapuram.
Birla Institute Of Technology & Science, Pilani topped the private universities as it took ninth position in the national ranking list. Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) was at the tenth place in NIRF 2016.
The next top five universities in the ranking band of 11-15 are as followed: Visva Bharati, Kolkata (11), Punjab University, Chandigarh (12), Pondicherry University, Pondicherry (13), Bharathiar University, Coimbatore (14), and Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore (15).
Nearly, 3,500 private and public institutions participated in the The ‘India Rankings 2016’. The ranking prepared was prepared by National Bureau of Accreditation (NBA) based on five criteria — teaching and learning resources, graduation outcome, perception, outreach and inclusivity and research productivity. The NIRF informed that all institutions were selected based on self-disclosure of information.
Here find the Top 25 Universities in India as per NIRF 2016:
- Indian Institute Of Science, Bangalore
- Institute Of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru University , New Delhi
- University Of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Tezpur University, Tezpur
- University Of Delhi , Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- Birla Institute Of Technology & Science, Pilani
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
- Visva Bharati, Kolkata
- Punjab University, Chandigarh
- Pondicherry University, Puducherry
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
- North Eastern Hill University, Shillong
- Shiksha ‘O’ Anusandhan, Bhuabaneswar
- King Georges Medical University, Lucknow
- Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Goa University, Goa
- Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha Vishwavidyalaya, New Delhi
- Gauhati University, Guwahati
- International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
- Guru Jambeshwar University Of Science And Technology, Hissar