India – L’Oréal India has announced the latest edition of the ‘For Young Women in Science’ Scholarship (FYWIS) 2023, a nationwide merit-based scholarship programme providing a platform for aspiring girls to pursue their graduation in the field of science. L’Oréal India is inviting applications for the programme, of which the successful candidates will be granted a scholarship sum of up to INR 2,50,000 to cover their academic expenses. An extension of the international ‘L’ORÉAL UNESCO FOR WOMEN IN SCIENCE’ partnership, the programme recognizes the contribution of women in shaping the future of science by assisting and supporting them to fulfil their ambitions.
Instituted in 2003 in India, the ‘For Young Women in Science’ scholarship (FYWIS) programme empowers young women from less privileged backgrounds to pursue science-based graduation programs at any reputed academic institution of their choice. The programme is open for graduate studies in any field of science – pure sciences, applied sciences, engineering, and medicine, among others.
Krishna Vilasini Bharadwaj, Director – Corporate Affairs and Engagement, L’Oréal India said, “At L’Oréal, we strongly believe that science is the foundation of progress. While various efforts have been made to ensure equitable representation of women in STEM, only about 33.3% of the world’s researchers are women, according to data from the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)1. To bridge this gap, L’Oréal introduced the ‘For Young Women in Science’ scholarship programme, to provide them with financial assistance, and create avenues for meritorious girls to pursue varied scientific disciplines. Since its inception, the programme has enabled more than 400 young women to pursue their journey. We look forward to inspiring many more young minds and helping them build a bright future and contribute towards society.”
- Only girl students who have passed class 12 (Science stream) with a minimum of 85% marks in PCM/PCB/PCMB in the current academic year (2021-22) can apply for the scholarship
- The applicants must have procured admission into an undergraduate (bachelor’s) program in a science-related field at a recognized college/university in India in the current academic year, 2022-23
- The candidates’ annual family income should be less than INR 6 Lakh
How to apply:
- Interested applicants can apply for this scholarship through the link L’Oréal Scholarship
- The applicant needs to register first by using their Email/Mobile/Gmail account (if not already registered)
- Candidate will be redirected to L’Oréal India’s ‘For Young Women in Science’ scholarship application form page.
- Fill in the required details in the online application form.
- Upload the necessary documents as part of the application process.
- Read the ‘Terms and Conditions’ and indicate your acceptance to move ahead towards submitting the application.
After screening and shortlisting of the applications received, the selected candidates undergo a telephonic interview round, after which the selected candidates along with their parents are invited for a face-to-face interview with a jury comprising eminent scientists, academicians, journalists, etc. This year, the jury round will be organized in a hybrid mode – candidates will have the option of in-person at locations like Mumbai, New Delhi/NCR, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, and Kolkata, or attend virtually.